A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to sit down (virtually) with Jake Desyllas and discuss the financial moves and life decisions that put me in a position to retire by age 33. Jake runs The Voluntary Life podcast, which features over 160 podcasts recorded to date that cover entrepreneurship, financial independence, and freedom among other topics.
A few of the topics discussed in my interview are:
- Saving all salary increases and avoiding lifestyle inflation
- Cost-effective housing, transport and food choices
- The importance of having agreement with your spouse towards your financial goals
- Children and financial independence
The Voluntary Life
Jake’s a cool guy. Like me, he also managed to pull off a successful early retirement in his thirties and has moved on from full time work to living the good life. A voluntary life where he chooses what he does because he wants to (and because he can). In his words:
I wanted maximum freedom and the chance to spend every day doing only things that I love. So far, that has included playing in a jazz band, doing improv comedy, long term travel, going minimalist, and publishing a book.”
Jake’s book is “Becoming an Entrepreneur: How to Find Freedom and Fulfillment as a Business Owner” and you can get your own copy at Amazon. I’ve read the free parts available at Amazon and it looks like an interesting read to get entrepreneurs in the right frame of mind to successfully establish and operate a business. The average five star rating (out of five) at Amazon means I’m not the only one digging this book (and those reviewers probably read the whole thing!).
I hope you all enjoyed the podcast! It’s always a blast to talk to another person about something you’re both passionate about. I don’t know how others feel, but I appreciate the deeper experience of listening to an author’s voice instead of only reading what that person writes.
Root of Good Recommends:
- Personal Capital* - It's the best FREE way to track your spending, income, and entire investment portfolio all in one place. Did I mention it's FREE?
- Interactive Brokers $1,000 bonus* - Get a $1,000 bonus when you transfer $100,000 to Interactive Brokers zero fee brokerage account. For transfers under $100,000 get 1% bonus on whatever you transfer
- $750+ bonus with a new business credit card from Chase* - We score $10,000 worth of free travel every year from credit card sign up bonuses. Get your free travel, too.
- Use a shopping portal like Ebates* and save more on everything you buy online. Get a $10 bonus* when you sign up now.
- Google Fi* - Use the link and save $20 on unlimited calls and texts for US cell service plus 200+ countries of free international coverage. Only $20 per month plus $10 per GB data.