Root of Good February 2014 Blog Update
February marked another great month at Root of Good. Traffic was down compared to January but still higher than December 2013. I was expecting a 10% decrease in traffic versus January because February has 10% fewer days than January (I’m a math expert). The traffic numbers were slightly worse than expected, with 15% fewer visitors in February than January. Seasonal variations? Bad winter storms on the east coast? Who knows, right?
The solid trend for social media subscribers continued in February. Last month I noticed that across all social media channels I tend to get about 100 new subscribers each month. February was eerily consistent, with 103 new subscribers, bringing the total social media subscribers to 564. If you haven’t subscribed yet and want to ensure you don’t miss any Root of Goodness, make sure to subscribe on Facebook, Twitter, or by email or RSS reader (in the column to the right).
Stats for February 2014:
Dec-2013 Jan-2014 Feb-2014 Change (Feb vs. Jan)
TRAFFIC Visitors 12028 15120 12769 -2351
Unique Visitors 7572 8928 7016 -1912
Pageviews 23078 28507 24656 -3851
Alexa Rank (lower = better) 67686 60189 56638 -3551
SOCIAL MEDIA 61 71 87 16
Blog email list 50 67 79 12
145 176 216 40
Feedly 107 147 182 35
TOTAL SOCIAL MEDIA 363 461 564 103
REVENUE $1,508 $826 $1,071 $246
Most popular pages:
Revenue: $1,071. Another great month. This includes $250 from January that didn’t update until late February. I also have some unreported February revenue due to switching around some advertising (I’ll put that revenue in the March update).
I am anticipating some revenue from freelance writing for the Daily Capital blog, but for now I’m leaving it out of the Root of Good revenue summary. You can check out the awesome post at Daily Capital that shows three households that make decent salaries yet pay zero tax here.
To put Root of Good’s earnings in perspective, $1,071 in monthly revenue represents 40% of our budgeted retirement spending. At this rate, we won’t have to dip into our investment portfolio nearly as much as anticipated. This income was completely unexpected when I decided I was retired six months ago. So far, this means our cash balances keep growing. Hopefully we can blow some of this money on a nice long summer vacation, and I might look into a solo 401k to hide part of all of the income from the tax man.
Even though Root of Good is still a hobby, I’m definitely loving the supplemental income that comes from monetizing the content. I know the real value to readers comes from figuring out how to make their own finances more efficient, and I hope the advertising here isn’t overly intrusive.
I published six posts in February, which is within my “one to two posts per week” goal. However, the last half of February was mostly devoid of any new content. Hey, I’m early retired! I’m not supposed to work too hard, right?
I’m working on a couple of lengthy posts on early retirement with kids. Those posts plus my usual monthly post on “what I’m up to in early retirement” and my February household financial update will kick off March with a bang (in case you have been eagerly awaiting new posts from Root of Good!).
In March, I’m doing a Google Hangouts interview/podcast with a group of people from the Mr. Money Mustache Google Plus group. I’ll be the first guest on their new show. First guest or guinea pig – you decide.
Root of Good Recommends:
- Personal Capital* - It's the best FREE way to track your spending, income, and entire investment portfolio all in one place. Did I mention it's FREE?
- Free Travel* - We score $10,000 worth of free travel every year from credit card sign up bonuses. Get your free travel, too.
- Save more on travel with Airbnb and take $40 off your first stay*. We usually get apartments with 2-3 bedrooms plus a kitchen and living room for less than the price of 1 hotel room. Save even more with weekly and monthly discounts.
- Use a shopping portal like Ebates* and save more on everything you buy online. Get a $10 bonus* when you sign up now.
- $20 off Uber* and Lyft* for new customers (our preferred rideshare apps when traveling)
- Google Fi* - Use the link and save $20 on unlimited calls and texts for US cell service plus 200+ countries of free international coverage. Only $20 per month plus $10 per GB data.